Long Range Planning
Lead Commissioner – Nancy Miller
Involved Commissioner – Scott Maddox
Lead Staff – Lonnie Ballard, Roxanne Manning, Ernest McDonald
- Enhance the beauty and walkability of the community by upgrading several selected stormwater ponds to make them more park like.
- Implement, where possible and prudent, short term solutions to immediately impact improvement on major city corridors (Adams Street, North and South Monroe)
- Continue with efforts to develop a way finding system throughout downtown including the college campuses and surrounding areas, Midtown, and to include S. Adams and S. Monroe.
- Develop incentives to ride bikes such as bike share, bike parking and bike lanes.
- Define more concisely the priority areas for focused improvement and direct resources such that a major impact can be achieved (i.e. downtown from Midtown to Cascades Park, Gaines to FSU/FAMU College Avenue, and Adams Street.)
- Continue to maintain a city focus on Water Resources.
Quality of Life / Innovation
Lead Commissioner – Gil Ziffer
Involved Commissioner – Nancy Miller
Lead Staff – Dee Crumpler, Cynthia Barber, Michelle Bono
- Create in Cascades Park a flourishing attraction that will connect all centers of the community in a vibrant outdoor amenity.
- Under the broad category of Innovation in multi-modal transportation initiatives:
- Take advantage of new technology that can be captured via smart phones and similar devices to modernize parking lot operations (including space location technology and meter technology).
- Build on the Cultural Plan to meet citizen expectations for cultural exposure, participation and enrichment.
- Build on partnerships recently developed addressing homelessness to find ways to move people into permanent housing.
- Partner with the Commission on the Status of Women and Girls in ways to enhance the position of women in the workplace and the community.
Lead Commissioner – Scott Maddox
Involved Commissioner – Andrew Gillum
Lead Staff – Raoul Lavin, Heath Beach, Jim Cooke, Reese Goad
- Identify a sales tax package that enables the community to meet the needs of Tallahassee and Leon County for the next two decades and focus on citizen involvement to broaden understanding of the potential impact of the various projects.
- Continue to investigate and implement ways to enhance customer service and convenience for citizens by increasing utility payment options and locations throughout the community.
- Assuming sales tax referendum passage, provide early opportunities for finance of airport projects for commercial development with the goal of increasing the potential for more flights, carriers, and destinations with competitive and reasonable fares.
Lead Commissioner – Mayor John Marks
Involved Commissioner – Andrew Gillum
Lead Staff – Rick Fernandez, Michael Parker, Chris Edwards,
- Build on the success of Cascades Park as a lynchpin to create contemporary and unique development/ redevelopment spaces that will be attractive to citizens and visitors via utilization of state owned properties (swap FSU) and other resources. Strategize as to how to best invest city dollars to attract development.
- Focus on strategies that incentivize home grown business development including support for incubators that will help rebuild and expand those entities that have been the city's lifeblood for years
- Make the City of Tallahassee the Smartest City in Florida. Take advantage of the technology now available to deliver services more efficiently and effectively.
- Develop and implement concepts to launch "America's First Christmas" tourist/community initiative.
City Commission Liaisons
- Community Issues (including South City and Greater Frenchtown) – Andrew Gillum
- Tallahassee Regional Airport – Scott Maddox
- University Issues (Tallahassee Community College, Florida A&M, Florida State) – Andrew Gillum