Women Fly It Forward Event Lands This Weekend
Events Honor Women in Aviation, Celebrates the Skies
March 07, 2013
Tallahassee Regional Airport (TLH) and FL Aviation Center are proud to host Women Fly it Forward, Tallahassee's first annual event in celebration of Women of Aviation Worldwide Week.
Women of Aviation Worldwide week is celebrated internationally each year to honor the anniversary of the first woman to earn a pilot's license on March 8, 1910. The theme of this year's event is aerospace, as 2013 also represents the 50th anniversary of the first woman in space.
While the percentage of women among doctors, lawyers and police went from nonexistent 100 years ago to around 25 percent today, the percentage of women in aviation has remained disproportionately lower (just above 6 percent). As a result, the common perception is that aviation is for men only.
The goal of Women Fly it Forward is to change this perception and encourage women to take to the skies! FL Aviation Center is a flight school in Tallahassee, owned and operated by two women, Faith Drewry and Lacey Smith, who are eager to demonstrate that flying is also for girls!
Please join TLH and FL Aviation Center in honoring Women of Aviation Worldwide Week at the following events:
- Friday, March 8 - Welcome reception from 6-8 p.m. at the Flightline Honda Jet Hangar for the statewide finals of the Astronaut Challenge, a state-wide STEM program initiative; open to sponsors, participants and press.
- Saturday, March 9 - Women Fly it Forward from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Flightline Honda Jet Hangar. This event is free and open to the public! Attractions include:
- Free airplane rides for all children ages 8-17, courtesy of the Experimental Aircraft Association Chapter 445 Young Eagles (offered from 9 a.m. to noon only)
- $25 first flight experiences for adult women (free to the first 20 women to sign up!)
- Static aircraft on display
- Aviation & aerospace career fair, including:
- US Army
- Federal Aviation Administration
- Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
- FL Aviation Center flight school
For more information on the weekend/s event, please contact FL Aviation Center at 850-778-3591 or visit its website at www.FLAviationCenter.com to reserve your flight. You can also stay informed by following @FLAviationCtr on Twitter.
The Tallahassee Regional Airport is owned and operated by the City of Tallahassee. For more information about TLH, please visit www.flytallahassee.com, like Tallahassee Regional Airport on Facebook and follow @iFlyTallahassee on Twitter.
Jim Durwin, Tallahassee Regional Airport, 891-7843; Faith Drewry, FL Aviation Center, 778-FLY1 (3591); or Lizzy Kelley, City Communications Department, 891-8533