City Service Changes for New Year’s Day Holiday
Solid Waste/StarMetro/Animal Service Center
December 26, 2013
The City of Tallahassee’s administrative offices will be closed in observance of the New Year’s Day holiday on Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2014. Following are schedule changes for the week of December 29 through January 4 for solid waste customers living inside the Tallahassee city limits, StarMetro and the Tallahassee-Leon Community Animal Service Center.
Solid Waste Schedule Changes - Garbage / Recycling / Yard Waste (blue week) / Bulky Items (blue week) – During the holiday week, customers will receive service as follows:
- Monday customers: no change in service
- Tuesday customers: no change in service
- Wednesday customers: Thursday, Jan. 2
- Thursday customers: Friday, Jan. 3
- Friday customers: Saturday, Jan. 4
Garbage and recycling containers should both be rolled to the curb for pickup by 6:30 a.m. on collection day, with both containers returned to the home no later than the day after collection. Customers are reminded to separate yard waste piles from any bulky items set out for pickup. Customers needing more information may view solid waste schedules at Talgov.com/YOU or contact City of Tallahassee Utilities at 891-4YOU (4968).
Christmas Tree Recycling - The City of Tallahassee urges customers to recycle their Christmas tree once the holidays have passed. All Christmas trees collected from curbside collection will be recycled into mulch. For City solid waste customers, placing the tree at the curb for pickup on their scheduled yard waste collection day is the easiest way to recycle it. Customers are reminded to remove all ornaments, garland and any other decorations before placing the tree at the curb.
As an alternative for leaving the tree at the curb (or for customers living in an apartment complex), customers can take the tree to the locations listed below. Trees taken to the listed locations will be ground into mulch and used on the walking paths at City parks. For more information, please visit Talgov.com/YOU.
Drop Off Dates: Through Monday, Jan. 6, 2014
Time: Dawn to Dusk
Locations: Signs will be posted at locations to direct customers to the drop-off area.
- San Luis Park – San Luis Road, south of West Tharpe Street
- Tom Brown Park – across Easterwood Drive from the tennis courts
- Myers Park – 907 Myers Park Drive
- Four Points by Sheraton Tallahassee Downtown – 316 West Tennessee Street
StarMetro Schedule Changes - StarMetro, the City's mass transit system, will change its operations for the New Year’s holiday, as follows:
Fixed Route Services
- Tuesday, Dec. 31 – Regular fixed route service will operate until 8 p.m. There will be no night service.
- Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2014 – Regular fixed route service will operate on a Sunday schedule.
- Tuesday, Dec. 31 – Dial-A-Ride will run its regular service until 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2014 – Dial-A-Ride will operate within a Sunday coverage area.
For more information, visit Talgov.com/StarMetro or call StarMetro at 891-5200.
Animal Service Center Closed Wednesday - The Tallahassee-Leon Community Animal Service Center will be closed on Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2014. Normal hours resume on Thursday, Jan. 2, 2014, with the center opening at 10:30 a.m. Customers needing more information, including photos of animals available for adoption, may visit Talgov.com/animals or contact the Animal Service Center at 891-2950.
City Animal Control will be available for emergency situations only during the holiday closure and can be reached via the Consolidated Dispatch Agency at 606-5800.
Heather Teter, Communications Department, 891-8533