Inspections / Plans Review
The Plans Review Division consists of 3 certified civilian personnel each responsible for a specialized area. These areas include: site plan review, building plan review, and final inspections.
This area reviews construction plans and performs related inspections of all new commercial buildings and renovation projects to determine compliance with fire code requirements. In addition, personnel review submittals and perform related inspections for all new fire protection, fire detection, and fire alarm systems. All commercial buildings must have a final fire inspection prior to being issued a certificate of occupancy. Fire Plans Review regulates the following activities:
- Commercial Construction Projects
- Preliminary Plan review
- Site Plan review
- Commercial Plan review
- Fire Protection Plan review
- Inspections of Projects for Fire Code Compliance
- Fire Protection Systems Test
- Tent Permitting
- Fire Works Permitting
Inspection Reports and Environmental Concerns
If you need information on any environmental concerns associated with a property to include any records of spills, the presence or removal of under or above ground storage tanks (USTs/ASTs), emergency response situations, hazardous waste issues or knowledge of contamination that has impacted the site, or if you need information on past inspections of a property, please send your request to the following via phone, mail or in person:
City of Tallahassee
City Hall, Office of the City Treasurer-Clerk, Box A-31
300 South Adams Street
Tallahassee, FL 32301
- Florida Fire Prevention Code 2010 Edition
- Rule and Regulations of the State Fire Marshal, Rule Title 69A & Florida Statute 633
|Life/Safety Permit Category
||$0.045/ Sq. Ft.
||$0.028/ Sq. Ft.
||$0.060/ Sq. Ft.
|Commercial Renovation/ Alteration4
||$0.060/ Sq. Ft.
||$0.054/ Sq. Ft.
|Expedited Plans Review5
||100% of fees up to $1,000 max paid at time of application.
|Fire Suppression System
||$140 base + $1.65 per outlet
||$140 base + $1.65 per device
|Bonfire/Camping Fire Permit
|Hazardous Materials Survey
|Fireworks Vendor Permit
|Temporary Certificate of Occupancy
|Change of Occupancy
|Occupancy without a Certificate of Occupancy
|Minor Plan Revision6
|Plan Re-Submittals (per occurrence)
|Inspector Hourly Rate
|1. Stand alone smoke detectors are exempt.
2. Charge per sprinkler head shall be $1.00 per head for single rooms larger than 10,000 sq. ft.
3. Historic properties are exempt from all Fire Department permit fees, as indicated in the Growth Management departmental database or with approved documentation from the Historic Preservation Board.
4. The fee shall not exceed the fee charged for the building permit.
5. Expedited plans review fees are charged when the permit applicant requests expedited plans review in accordance with the Growth Management policy for expedited plans review.
6. Substantial revision to plans previously submitted shall be charged an additional fee of ½ the building permit fee assessed, which additional fee is non-refundable.
7. The re-inspection fee shall be charged for any inspection required beyond the second inspection that is required for any code deficiency cited on the original inspection. The appropriate Inspector, for cause, may waive this fee.