How to Fill Online Forms
By putting our permits and forms online, we are hoping to make the Growth Management resources more accessible than ever. However, there are certain limitations to using forms from your computer. Follow the steps below. You need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader (6.0) software installed on your computer. If you do not have this program installed in your computer, you can download it for free by just following the directions below. With free Adobe Acrobat Reader software, you will be able to: view, print, and fill Adobe PDF form files online.
- Bookmark the Growth Management Department home page if you have not yet done so.
- Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader, close your browser and run the installation program. Once Acrobat is installed, open your browser and return to the Growth Management bookmark. Your browser should now be configured to view PDF files properly.
- If you want to save the file on your computer, right-click on the link and select "Save Link As..." or "Save Target As..." to bring up the Save As window. Choose the directory you want to save the file under, you might rename the file for your convenience or leave the same name, just make sure you write down the file name and click "Save."
- To print the current file, click the printer icon on the Acrobat toolbar.
- By clicking the links to a form, you will be able to view and print the forms directly from your computer. When printing the forms, keep in mind that they will change hands many times and be put under excessive wear and tear, so please use the heaviest paper and the best quality printer possible. Once you have filled out a form, you may bring it by the Growth Management Department office at 100 W. Virginia Street, pay the associated fee, and receive your permit in a timely fashion. We cannot accept forms through the mail.
To OPEN a form:
To FILL OUT form:
- Once the form is open, select the hand tool.
- Position the pointer inside a form field, you will notice that the mouse cursor will change from a hand to an I-beam then click in this area.
- The I-beam pointer allows you to type text.
- The arrow pointer allows you to select a button, a check box, a radio button, or an item from a list.
- To enter telephone or Fax numbers, the format requires you to enter the area code every time. Also, there is no need to enter parenthesis and dashes.
- To enter a Date, the format requires you to enter in numbers: day, month, and last two digits of the year. In a few instances, you will be required to enter the whole word of the month (This will happen only in fields where each piece of information is separated)
- To enter the Zip Code, you just need the first 5 digits.
- To enter dimensions, do so in a decimal format. For instance: 1'-6" is going to be 1.5
- There are a few fields that the information is highlighted. In this instance, if you click in the far upper/lower right area of this field you will get two (2) buttons. Click either one until you see the closest response that will apply to your permit.
- After entering text or selecting an item, check box, or radio button, do one of the following:
- Press Tab to accept the form field change and go to the next form field.
- Press Shift+Tab to accept the form field change and go to the previous form field.
- Press Enter (Windows) or Return (Mac OS) to accept the form field change and deselect the current form field.
- In a multiline text form field, Enter or Return goes to the next line in the same form field. You can use Enter on the keypad to accept a change and deselect the current form field.
- Press Escape to reject the form field change and deselect the current form field. If you are in Full Screen mode, pressing Escape a second time causes you to exit Full Screen mode.
- Once you have filled in the appropriate form fields, do one of the following:
- Click on the Print button. This will cause the print window come up. Select your printer and then click OK.
- Click on the Reset button if you are going to fill more than one request.
- Once the form is filled, it will not be saved with the data just entered .
Acrobat Reader is not capable of saving your edits. In order to save your edits, you will need the full version of Adobe Acrobat.
To SAVE a form:
- Choose File
- Scroll down to Save Target as
- Choose the directory you want to save the file under, you might rename the file for your convenience or leave the same name just make sure you write down the file name.
- Finally click Save.