The City Attorney’s Office opened its doors in City Hall on October 1, 1992 as the first in-house legal department under the leadership of City Attorney Emeritus James R. English. James English served as the City Attorney from 1983 to December 31, 2012. The City Commission appointed Lewis E. Shelley to take office as the City Attorney on January 1, 2013.
Below are our attorney names/titles, as well as attorney areas of expertise:
- Lewis E. Shelley, City Attorney (Multiple Areas)
- Linda R. Hudson, Deputy City Attorney (Planning/Environmental/Growth Management)
- Kristen Coons, Assistant City Attorney (Contracts/Grants)
- Rick Courtemanche, Assistant City Attorney (Police Legal Advisor/Code Enforcement Board)
- Jim Floyd, Senior Assistant City Attorney (Tort/Personal Injury)
- Billy Hendrix, Assistant City Attorney (Multiple Areas)
- Patrick E. Hurley, Senior Assistant City Attorney (Contracts/Utilities)
- Cassandra Jackson, Senior Assistant City Attorney (Employment/Labor/Pension/Retirement)
- Louis C. Norvell, Assistant City Attorney (Planning/Land Use/Growth Management and other)
Q. My neighbor is trimming tree branches which extend into his yard. This is my tree! Can the City stop him from doing this?
A. This is a private civil matter. The city cannot intervene.
Q. I drove my car through a pothole in the street and sustained damage to my car. I feel the city was negligent. Will the city pay for this?
A. If you feel the city was negligent, claims may be directed to the city's Risk Manager at 891-8246.
Q. I am going through a divorce and need some advice. Can the city help me?
A. No. The city cannot give advice in any private legal matter.
Q. If I want to find out if Tallahassee has a specific law, regulation, or requirement, who can I call?
A. You may contact the Treasurer-Clerk's Office of the City of Tallahassee, 300 South Adams Street, 2nd Floor, Tallahassee, Florida, (850) 891-8130; look at the hard copy of the City of Tallahassee Code of Ordinances at the City Attorney's Office, or search the on-line code of ordinances.