In partnership with the American Red Cross, the Aquatics Division offers lifeguard training courses for those interested in protecting the safety of swimmers.
Lifeguard Training Courses (15 and older)
- Class 1: April 8-17
- April 8: 7:00 - 9:00pm
- April 9 & 10: 8:00am - 5:00pm
- April 15: 5:30 - 9:00pm
- April 16 & 17: 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Class 2: April 22 - May 1
- April 22: 7:00 - 9:00pm
- April 23 & 24: 8:00am - 5:00pm
- April 29: 5:30 - 9:00pm
- April 30 & May 1: 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Class 3: May 6 - 15
- May 6: 7:00 - 9:00pm
- May 7 & 8: 8:00am - 5:00pm
- May 13: 5:30 - 9:00pm
- May 14 & 15: 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Class 4: May 31 - June 4
- All Days: 8:00am - 5:00pm
- All classes must have at least 10 registrants to proceed and will be full with 42.
- Be at least 15 years of age on or before the final scheduled day of the class for which you are registered.
- Swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point holding the object with both hands and face out of the water, and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- There will be a pre-course session on the first day of class to determine eligibility. If you cannot pass any of the above, you will not be permitted to take the course. Please practice ahead of time!
Registration is available at the Trousdell Aquatics Center through the first class session. The Center is open Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 8:00pm and on the weekends, 11:30am - 5:00pm.
Fees for this course are as follows:
- $75 - For participants seeking City of Tallahassee employment
- $175 - For participants NOT seeking City of Tallahassee employment
Items to Bring to Class (optional but highly recommended):
- Bathing suit/trunks (must be an actual swim suit - not optional)
- Sun block (no oils, please), hat or visor, and sunglasses
- Several towels and warm clothes (there are changing rooms on the premises)
- Water and/or sports drink
- Pen/pencils, highlighter, pad/notebook (for additional notes)
Course and Certification Requirements:
- On time and present throughout all class sessions. Attendance is mandatory and tardiness will not be tolerated. Participants will not be permitted into class late or to leave early.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and in the final skill scenarios.
- Correctly answer at least 80% of the questions in each of the four sections of the final written examination.
- NO REFUNDS will be given for those not completing or not passing the course.
- Class is very "hands on", please keep this in mind when choosing your bathing suit!
- Participants may use goggles only when lap swimming. Goggles are not permitted during rescue skills practice or scenarios.
- Participants will be given a lunch break (at least 45 minutes) during each 8am - 5pm class day.
- Due to the nature of the skills in this course, you will be participating in strenuous activities, such as performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on the floor and removing adults from the water. If you have a medical condition or disability or if you have any questions about your ability to participate fully in this course, please discuss them with your health-care provider and the Aquatics Supervisor before you start the course.
- A printed manual will not be given. You can view/download the manual online.
Guard Start - Junior Lifeguard Program (11-14 Years Old)
Are your 11-14 year olds interested in becoming lifeguards? Our Junior Lifeguard course improves swimming skills and develops leaderships skills. This class includes Basic Lifeguarding Skills, CPR and First Aid, and emphasizes Prevention and Response, as well as Fitness, Leadership and Professionalism.
- Be able to swim the front crawl for 25 yards continuously while breathing to the front or side
- Tread water for one minute using arms and legs
- Submerge and swim a distance of 10 feet underwater
June 20 - 30 and July 25 - August 4
5:30 - 7:00pm, Monday - Thursday at the Jack McLean Aquatics Center
Register now for the Junior Lifeguard Program