LeVerne F. Payne Community Center
The LeVerne Payne Community Center, is located in the Frenchtown neighborhood of Goodbread Hills. Originally the Naval Reserve Building, it was acquired by the City, along with about 3 acres of land, in 1972, creating the Fourth Avenue Community Center (as it was then known). In 1979, two tennis courts were added. Currently, the site also offers picnic shelters, grills, a playground and a multi-purpose outdoor court. The Center sits across Fourth Avenue from the Lee Park ball field, with 13.3 acres available for passive and active recreation programs.
It was rededicated in February 2007 in honor of longtime Center Director, LeVerne F. Payne. The Center now offers an after school program for neighborhood children, providing tutoring, homework help, computer access, and a variety of interesting games and classes, including dance, step team, and arts and crafts.
Every December, for over thirty years, the LeVerne Payne has hosted the arrival of "Soul Santa." Kids and parents from all over the city come to welcome Santa as he steps from his helicopter bringing Christmas joy and gifts for all the children.
One weekend each spring, the Frenchtown Explosion takes place over two days of fun, food and entertainment at the Center, co-sponsored by FAMU sorority, the Theta Epsilon Chapter of the Deltas, and in the fall, a "Family Fun Day" is co-sponsored by FAMU's Sigmas offering more family-friendly entertainment for local kids and their parents.
Hours of Operation
- Monday - Friday: 2:30 - 6:30pm
Full Class Schedule
Registration is happening now
- Spring Break
- March 20, 3:00 - 6:00pm: Kids on Wheels Roller Skating at Dade Street
- March 21, 8:00am - 3:00pm: Intergenerational Fishing Trip to Ted Turner Youth Conservation Camp
- March 22, 10:00am - 5:00pm: Youth Bowling at FSU Lanes
- March 23, 10:00am - 5:00pm: Kids Fishing Trip to Seminole Reservation
- April 13, 10:00am - 5:00pm: Springtime Gospel Fest
- May 11: Saturday Senior Citizen Social Mother's Day Getaway to U-Pick and Pay Garden, Bainbridge Ga, and Dinner at Golden Corral