Health & Fitness
Mindful Living for Better Health Class Ends with a Positive and Uplifting Affirmation
Coming up in February 2016! This 6-week series helps participants develop lifestyle changes that will have a positive effect on their health and happiness through the practice of mindfulness. Series will be repeated 4 times throughout the year. Space is limited, must pre-register. Contact Toni Walmsley, Southside Program Coordinator at 891-4020 for more information or to pre-register.
Health Classes and Programs
The listed presentations, massage and fitness classes at the Tallahassee Senior Center are $2 unless otherwise indicated. We graciously accept donations of clean medical equipment to share with those in need. Walkers, wheelchairs, canes, adult diapers, Ensure, shower chairs, etc. Your donation is tax deductible. For info, call 891-4000, 891-4042.
Click on each event to get more details:
Health Screenings and Services
All services are 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., unless otherwise noted:
- Blood Pressure Screening / Wednesdays & Thursdays
- Glucose Screenings / Wednesdays
- Pulse Oximetry Screenings / First Thursday of the Month
- Vision/Glaucoma / Dec. 17
- Podiatry Screening & Foot Care / Jan. 21 (12:30 - 2:30 p.m.)
- Reiki / Nov. 17, Dec. 1, 15, 29, & Jan. 12 / (10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.)
- Meditation & Mindfulness Guidelines / Dec. 1 & Jan. 12 (10:30 - 12:00 a.m.)
Dec. 22 & Jan. 5 | 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. | Norma Reesor, LMT
Please inquire about our Fitness Savings Card, or "discount card." Punch cards are available for purchase at each class and save participants $5 (15 fitness classes for $25). Unless otherwise noted, classes are $2. Discount cards not applicable for Zumba Gold or Yoga.
- Mindful Movement
Tuesdays | 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Brain-Body-Memory Balance Stretch and Relaxation Class
- Mondays | 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. at Tallahassee Senior Center
- Tuesdays | 10:00 - 11:00 a.m. at Optimist Park
- Tuesdays | 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. at SouthWood Community Center ($5)
- Wednesday | 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. at Allegro
- Chair Yoga
Fridays | 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
A gentle yoga workout for increased mobility, bladder control, self-esteem, and mental focus.
- Life Exercise
Tuesdays and Thursdays | 9:30 - 10:30 a.m.
A workout consisting of aerobics, light weights, stretching, strengthening and balance exercises. Suitable for everyone; you can participate even if seated.
- Taoist Tai-Chi
Wednesdays and Fridays | 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.
- Zumba Gold
Thursdays | 5:30 - 6:30 p.m. ($5 for 50+, $7 others)
Mondays and Wednesdays | 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. - $10 for 550+, $12 others
Neighborhood Site Senior Fitness Classes
Each class $2 (50+), $3 others.
- Brain-Body-Memory-Balance: Wednesdays | 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Bradfordville - Bannerman Crossing
- Chaires-Capitola Dorothy C. Spence Community Center
- Fort Braden Community Center
- Jack McLean Community Center
- Super Seniors Fitness: Tuesdays - Thursdays | 10:00 - 11:00 a.m., Free
- Wellness Circle: Dec. 8 | 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Jake Gaither Community Center
- Mindful Movement - Moving for Better Balance: Thursdays | 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Health and Wellness Fair: Dec. 2 | 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Must make a reservation! $3.00 suggested donation.
- Lake Jackson Community Center
- Miccosukee Community Center
- Oliver Hill Community Center
- Wellness Circle: Dec. 7 | 10:30 - 11:30 a.m.
- Optimist Park
- Tuesdays, 10:00 a.m.: Brain-Body-Memory-Balance
- SouthWood Community Center ($5)
- Brain-Body-Memory-Balance: Tuesdays | 1:00 - 2:00 p.m.
- Woodville Community Center
Water Aerobics at City of Tallahassee Pools