Southside Service and Outreach
To celebrate the competition, bag toss participants (from left) Thelma Lewis, Henrietta Holmes, Alzora Williams, Lear Russ, Mae Belle Williams, (seated left) Mary Johnson and Martha Hawkins, from the Jake Gaither Community Center, attend the Welcome Reception.
In a casual setting, enjoy healthy refreshments, various health-related discussions, demonstrations, guest speakers and health screenings. Enjoy seeing your neighbors and making new friends! For more information, call Toni Walmsley, Southside Program Coordinator at 891-4009 or Toni.Walmsley@talgov.com for more information or to pre-register.
Jack McLean Community Center, 700 Paul Russell Road, 891-1819
Wellness Circles, Tue., June 14, 11a.m.–12 p.m. No classes in July!
“Super Seniors Fitness” Tue., Wed., Thu., 10-11a.m., ongoing. Taught by Edwina Martin. No charge.
Jake Gaither Community Center, 801 Bragg Dr., 891-3940
Wellness Circles, Mon., May 20, 11a.m.–12p.m. No classes in July!
Coming up! Mindful Living for Better Health
Jake Gaither Community Center, 801 Bragg Dr., 891-3940
Next class series begins on Wed., Apr 20! Space is limited, participants must pre-register. This 6-week series helps participants develop lifestyle changes that will have a positive effect on their health and happiness through the practice of mindfulness. Series will be repeated again in Aug. Participants pre-register for this series.
Cards & Games
Bradfordville Social Bridge: Mon, 12-3:30 p.m., Bradfordville Historic Schoolhouse, 6808 Beech Ridge Trail, $1 per class.
Lake Jackson Canasta, Cards & Games: Tues, 1-4:00 p.m., LJ Community Center, 3840 N. Monroe St, $1 per class (NOTE: Mar 15 class will be held at the Tallahassee Senior Center
Lose Yourself in Zentangle, Lifelong Learning class in Bradfordville!
Leon County Senior Outreach will offer a new class on an “easy to learn, relaxing, fun way to create unique, beautiful images by unfolding structured patterns.” Lose Yourself in Zentangle®, will be offered by Midori Okasako, at the NE branch of the Leon County Library for 4 weeks on Mondays, Apr. 4, 11, 18 and 25 from 1:00-3:30 p.m. Zentangle is a way to discover the fun and joy of creating art – even if you “think” you aren’t an artist. Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas founded this calming process and art form. With a simple stroke of a pen, you can empower yourself to create beautiful images of tangle patterns inspired by the world around us. The 4-week class fee is $36 for seniors over 50, and $44 for all others. The art supply kit for the class is $20. Class size is limited; call 891-4016 or email Leslie.Puckett@talgov.com to save your spot!
Lunch & Learns, Lifelong Learning
Lunch & Learns (L&L) offer lively and engaging programs for adults 50+. All Lunch & Learns are 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Each L&L includes exhibitors, health screenings, and lunch, $6. These events are a program of the Tallahassee Senior Center & Foundation, funded by the Leon County Board of County Commissioners. For information on Leon County Senior Outreach events, field trips, and classes, e-mail Susan.Davis@talgov.com or call (850) 891-4065 or 891-4027.
- Bradfordville: Wildwood Presbyterian Fellowship Hall, 100 Ox Bottom Rd. Field trip May 11 for regular participants. L&L - June 8.
- Chaires-Capitola: Dorothy C. Spence Community Center, 4768 Chaires Crossroad, L&L - May 24 & June 28.
- Fort Braden Community Center, 16387 Blountstown Hwy, L&L - May 17 & June 21
- Lake Jackson Community Center, 3840 N. Monroe St., L&L - May 19 & June 16
- Miccosukee Community Center, 13887 Moccasin Gap Rd., L&L - June 2, no L&L in July
- Woodville Community Center, 8000 Old Woodville Rd., L&L - May 12 & June 9
CARDS & GAMES:
- Bradfordville Social Bridge: Mon, 12 – 3:30 p.m.
- Bradfordville Cards, Etc.: Thu, 12 – 4 p.m.,
Bradfordville Historic Schoolhouse, 6808 Beech Ridge Trail, $1 per class
- Lake Jackson Canasta, Cards & Games, Tue., 1-4 p.m.,
LJ Community Center, 3840 N. Monroe St, $1 per class
- Miccosukee Bus Trip to Wal-Mart: June 3 & July 1, $2 round trip
- Miccosukee Computer Classes: May 13 and 27 & June 10 and 24, $1 per class,
Miccosukee Community Center, 13887 Moccasin Gap Road, 32309
The following sites are used for outreach to various community centers, bringing the Senior Center closer to your neighborhood:
Allegro - 4501 Shannon Lakes Drive
- Wednesdays, 2:00 p.m.: Brain-Body-Memory-Balance
Bradfordville Fitness, Northeast Branch Library, Rm. 103, 5513 Thomasville Rd.
- Senior Fitness with Llona Geiger
- Beginners: Tue. & Fri., 10:30-11:15 a.m.
- Intermediate: Tue. & Fri., 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Afternoon Class: Tue. & Fri., 1-2 p.m.
Dorothy C. Spence Community Center - 4768 Chaires Cross Road
- Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays, 8:30 a.m.: Seated Fitness
- Tuesdays & Thursdays, 9:30 a.m.: Seated Fitness
Fort Braden Community Center - 16387 Blountstown Hwy
- Mondays & Wednesdays, 10:30 a.m.: Fitness
Lake Jackson Community Center
- Thursdays, 1:00 p.m.: Mindful Movement - Moving for Better Balance
- Tuesdays, 1:00 p.m.: Canasta, Cards & G a.m.es
Jack McLean Community Center - 700 Paul Russell Road
- Tue., Wed., Thu., 10-11a.m.: Super Seniors Fitness. Taught by Edwina Martin. No charge.
Jake Gaither Community Center - 801 Bragg/Tanner Drive
- Thursdays, 11:00 a.m.: Mindful Movement - Moving for Better Balance
Lincoln Neighborhood Center - 438 West Brevard Street
Miccosukee Community Center - 13887 Moccasin Gap Road
- Tuesdays & Thursdays, 11:15 a.m.: Fitness
- Tuesdays, 10:00 a.m.: Brain-Body-Memory-Balance
Southwood Community Center
- Tuesdays | 1:00 - 2:00 p.m: Brain-Body-Memory-Balance
Woodville Community Center - 8000 Old Woodville Road
- Mondays - Wednesdays, 8:30 a.m.: Senior Fitness