Customers Invited to Take a Seat
New seats, perfect fit for smaller spaces
August 08, 2013
At the direction of the Tallahassee City Commission and in response to customer requests, StarMetro is installing a unique seating solution in areas where there is no room for large benches or shelters. Simme Seats, a two-seater bench that fits on the bus stop pole, are being installed at bus stops around Tallahassee.
"In the Capital City, we should be able to provide our citizens – who are often elderly or children – a place to sit and wait for the bus,” City Commissioner Scott Maddox said. “This is our first step in that direction.”
StarMetro is among the first transit agencies in Florida to install this new seating option. A total of 18 of the patented, dark blue seat pairs will be installed at locations around the city, including Gaines Street, Bond community and Miccosukee Road.
The City Commission asked StarMetro to find affordable ways to increase seating at City bus stops. A traditional bus stop shelter includes a cement pad, a walled shelter, lighting, seats and meets accessibility requirements at a cost of between $15,000 and $23,000. Purchased through a federal grant, the new bus stop pole seats are only $618 each. They can be used in areas where the City doesn't own the land or conditions don't allow enough room for a covered shelter.
There are twelve Simme Seats already in place at the following locations:
- Southbound on Macomb Street at Tennessee Street
- Eastbound on Tharpe Street at Colorado Street
- Eastbound on Tharpe Street at High Road
- Westbound on Miccosukee Road at Lee Avenue
- Southbound on Capital Circle NE at Miccosukee Road
- Southbound on Holton Street at Campbell Street
- Eastbound on Mission Road at Hartsfield Road
- Eastbound on Miccosukee Road at Magnolia Drive
- Westbound on Apalachee Parkway at Richview Road
- Northbound on North Monroe at Walmart
- Westbound on Apalachee Parkway at Richardson Road
- Northbound on Capital Circle NE at Raymond Diehl Road
Six additional locations will have seats installed in the coming months.
For more information about StarMetro services, please call StarMetro’s main office at 891-5200 or visit Talgov.com/starmetro. Other ways to view information include liking StarMetro’s official Facebook page at Facebook.com/starmetrotransit or following the organization on Twitter at Twitter.com/ridestarmetro.
Ivan Maldonado, StarMetro Executive Director, 891-5200; or Carrie Poole, Department of Communications, 891-8533
Subscribe to News Releases
Sign up to receive our news releases via email, along with many other features, with our Email Subscription Service.