As a police department providing law enforcement services to a city with two universities and a large community college, TPD has become accustomed to the presence of noise and party related problems from its younger population. When parties compromise the personal safety of citizens and negatively impact the quality of life within neighborhoods, the Tallahassee Police Department must swing into action to improve conditions. Such was the case in 1994 when our neighborhood associations began voicing strong concerns about a growing party problem in the community.
Tallahassee is a community where late night parties and noise are not acceptable. If a neighbor or any person calls to complain about a party or noise problem, the Tallahassee Police Department will respond to assist that complainant. Party hosts may also call to request assistance with shutting down an out-of-control party.
Best Advice for a Safe and Successful Party
- Ask your neighbors' permission before throwing a party.
- Agree to clean up after the party.
- Leave a telephone number where your neighbors can call you to complain (and answer the phone if they call).
- Keep party attendance to a reasonable number.
- If unruly, uninvited guests show up, call the police to have them removed.
- DO NOT allow underage drinking. Just one underage drinker can result in the party's host being arrested (Open House Party, Florida Statute 856.012). Underage drinking is illegal and those who do so can go to jail (Florida Statute, 562.111)
- Do not let drunken partygoers drive home. (DUI, Florida Statute 316.193)
- Illegal parking, late night visitors, outdoor loitering (smoking cigarettes or playing games), underage drinking, trash, unkempt yards, and loud noise are actions that demand police attention.
- There are consequences for party hosts who do not follow the rules such as arrests, nuisance abatement action (after 3 police visits to a residence in 6 months, the city attorney can file a civil action), university sanctions, parental notifications, fines, and community service hours, and more
StarMetro Night Nole Route
StarMetro's Night Nole runs Tuesdays - Saturdays, 10:30 P.M. - 3:00 A.M., every 15 minutes