Residential Recycling Service
Recycling pickup information
If you live in a single family detached house, mobile home, a town home, duplex, triplex or quadraplex, your recycling is picked up once a week, curbside and is the same as your garbage pickup day according to your red/blue week schedule. Do you know your schedule? Learn what is recyclable in Tallahassee. Do you live in an apartment? Download the recycling guide.
- Roll your Smart Cart (and garbage container) to the curb no earlier than the day before service to let pickup crews know your cart is ready for collection and return it to your home no later than the day after service.
- Please leave your cart at least three feet away from obstacles.
- Composting is a great way to recycle your yard waste and other plant materials into something useful for your lawn or garden.
On Premium Service, a customer's recycling container and garbage container will be pulled from the storage area at the home and then returned to the storage area by Solid Waste Services personnel. The cost of this service is $39.18 per month.
**Customers not on premium service who leave their containers at the curb after the day of service will be in violation of the revised solid waste ordinance. Customers will be given two notices of violation. On the third notice within a 12-month period, the customer will be placed on premium service for one year. **
Information for residents living in apartment complexes
Apartment customers primarily use recycling centers (dumpsters). Apartment management determines if there is room for a recycling center on premises. Some small complexes use recycling bins and some may use garbage cans due to space constraints.
- Do not place trash bags in the recycling center. Empty out your recyclable items into the dumpster and place the bag into the garbage dumpster.
Each apartment complexes' management decides that either their tenants will be billed for solid waste collection as part of the monthly City utility bill or their monthly rent will include solid waste charges. If each apartment is billed by the City, the monthly charge is $16.98. Download the recycling guide.
Ask your manager where to place old furniture and other bulky items, appliances, old bikes, Christmas trees, yard waste, etc. for disposal. These "trash" items, per Florida law, cannot be placed in garbage or recycling containers.
Request recycling for your apartment complex here
Recycling is a complementary service to any commercial customer with an active utility account. You must request to have this service setup and may make that request here.
How much is it to recycle as a Solid Waste Services customer?
Recycling is free for all residential and commercial customers who live within the City limits with an active utility account. Learn what items you can recycle in Tallahassee here. Download the recycling guide.
Where can you take recyclable items?
There are several locations to drop off recyclable items:
- City of Tallahassee, Solid Waste Services 2727 Municipal Way Directions: Go west on Pensacola Street to Appleyard Drive. Turn left on Appleyard. Take another immediate left onto Municipal Way. Solid Waste Services is the third building on the right, past the Health Department and Sheriff's Office Turn into the driveway just past the main building's parking lot. The container is just outside the gate to the "truck yard." This container is accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Leon County Solid Waste Management Facility 7550 Apalachee Parkway Directions: Go east on Apalachee Parkway, past the Super Walmart The facility will be on the left. Call 606.1823 for hours.
- Sam's Club at 3122 Dick Wilson Blvd.
- The Book Store at St. John's Episcopal Church located at 131 North Calhoun St.
Download the recycling guide.